Sunday, September 11, 2016

Husband-Father-Ironman-Survivor


11th Hour Racing's George Myers 

Husband-Father-Ironman-Survivor

Ironman & Survivor Myers pictured with 11 year old diagnosed with prostate cancer.


As a devoted husband, father of four, Ironman finisher, and prostate cancer survivor; George Myers is a remarkable man whose passion to race for those fighting cancer, and courage continues to inspire both young and old. I first met George at one of 11th Hour Racing's Saturday morning group runs, and his genuine personality made it seem as if I'd known him for years. Having an extensive background in racing, George's focus now is using his experience fighting cancer along with racing as a platform to help those currently fighting cancer. Given his level of dedication in all he does, and propensity to help those around him; George will undoubtedly continue making a huge impact in the lives of Philadelphia cancer patients. We are thankful to have George represent 11th Hour Racing, as he helps advance our mission to support cancer patients in the Philadelphia area. 

What is your name?
George Myers

Where do you live?
I live in Marlton, NJ, but was born in Philadelphia, PA.

How many years have you been married?
I've been married to my wife Denise Myers for 30 years.


Do you have any children?
We have four boys; twins who are 30 named Bryan and Michael, Matthew 26, and Christopher 25.

What type of work do you do?
I am a semi-retired driver for Airborne Express-DHL.


What is something outside of running you enjoy doing?
triathlons, biking, hiking

How many years have you been running?
15 years

What are some of your running or racing related goals this year?
Actually, I'll be taking a break from racing this year to spend more time with my wife.

What are some of the groups or organizations you run with right now other than 11th Hour Racing?
Anybody who is available to train.

What's some advice you'd give to a new runner?
Keep at it! When I first started I couldn't run one block without stopping. Consistency is key, and small gains.
*George is now an Ironman Finisher

For those who don't know about your battle with cancer; what was your diagnosis, and when were you diagnosed?
Diagnosed in May 2012. 13 samples were taken from a prostate biopsy, five were cancerous, and I was officially diagnosed with stage 2 prostate cancer.

What is your most memorable racing memory?
When I crossed the finish line in Tempe Arizona. It was my first Ironman since being diagnosed with prostate cancer. I proved to myself I was the same person after cancer that I was before; maybe even stronger and wiser.

"I trained harder for that race...I was like a man possessed."


Do you remember where you were when first diagnosed? What were your thoughts?
I was diagnosed at Delaware valley urology, and was scared and uncertain.

Was there ever a time you were unsure if you'd beat the cancer?
Yes, in those three weeks waiting for the results from a bone scan, and other tests to determine if it had spread.

When going through treatment how did you cope with all the stress? Did you run during treatment?
I had a radical prostatectomy, and couldn't do much for six weeks, but was fortunate to not need chemotherapy or radiation. During this time my workouts consisted of circling around the dining room table.

What did you find to be the hardest part of treatment, and fighting cancer?
Not being able to run, swim or cycle for six weeks. I've never been good at sitting still.

What is something friends or family did while you were going through treatment that meant a lot? The calls, visits, and words of encouragement from family and friends. I was really lucky to have such a strong support system.

What kept you fighting when things became really tough?
My family, especially my wife; we drew strength from each other. She's the real Ironman, not me.

What was your first race after beating cancer?
The Philadelphia Half Marathon, about six months after my surgery.

How has being a survivor changed your outlook on life? Has it changed your training?
It made me a better father, husband, and man. Everyday is a gift! Preparing for Ironman Arizona in November 2013; I trained harder for that race than any other race I had ever done. I had to prove to myself I could beat this terrible disease. I was like a man possessed.

Are there any words of wisdom or pieces of advice you'd give to someone currently fighting cancer?
As my good friend Steve Cooper taught me; Never Quit! Steve was diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer two and a half years ago after being given six months to live.

George Myers (right) & Steve Cooper (left)
"George cares about and asks about others more than anyone else I know; even while he battled his own cancer. George puts everyone else above his own needs...sets the example of how to put others first in all he does. He is such a great champion!"
-Steve Cooper



*Steve Cooper-stage 4 prostate cancer survivor & Ironman

Why did you get involved with 11th Hour Racing?
I stumbled on to an article about 11th Hour Racing, and the work they were doing. I thought to myself, this is awesome! Talk about in the trenches volunteer work; this is for me. Keep up the great work all of you are doing 11th Hour Racing, God bless you.

George Myers at 11th Hour Racing group run.


11th Hour exists because no family should endure the added burden posed by financial hardship while they are fighting cancer. We seek to lessen or even eliminate these burdens so patients may focus on recovery, and their families on spending time with their loved ones.


If you are able; please help 11th Hour Racing support people in our city fighting caner, and unable to pay their bills by making a tax-deductible donation. Your support will prevent evictions, purchase food, clothing, medicine, and ensure utilities are not shut off.













No comments:

Post a Comment