Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Leo Hernandez-McKinley

Love Half Marathon finish line insight just months after beating stage four cancer. 


Leo is truly a champion in every sense of the word; initially given a very poor prognosis, yet this never deterred him as he fought with a smile. I remember meeting Leo for the first time while still on the oncology unit, and one of the first things he said to me was:

“When I get through this, I am going to run with you to help other people with cancer.”

Leo is one of the bravest guys I know, and I am proud to call him a friend. He ran his first ½ Marathon (Love Run)  on April 10th with 11th Hour Racing, which was also his first race since beating cancer!

What is your name?

How old are you?
I’m 19 years old; born August 13, 1996.

Where did you grow up?
I grew up in Las Cruces, New Mexico, and lived there until I graduated High School.


Did you run before being diagnosed with cancer?
Before I was diagnosed I ran in preparation for Air Force boot camp, but also ran my junior year in high school for the school's cross country team.

Do you have any advice for new runners?
My advice to new runners would be to stay consistent with your training.

You have a very motivational story about your connection to 11th Hour Racing and Jefferson. Tell us about joining the Air Force, and what led you here?
I joined the Air Force when I was 18 years old, and shortly after was diagnosed with stage 4 Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I first got connected with 11th Hour during my initial stay at Thomas Jefferson.

What was the hardest part of your fight with cancer?
The hardest part about my fight against cancer was my impatient stays at the hospital; although I was surrounded by an incredible staff I missed my own bed and my mothers cooking.

Do you have anything you’d tell people who are currently fighting cancer?
To anybody fighting cancer I would like to leave them with a few quotes.
"Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul"- Jim Valvano
"Don't count the days, make the days count"- Muhammad Ali

Why do you run with 11th Hour Racing?
I run because I remember the days that I couldn't run, the days when I couldn't go outside, I run for those cancer patients who can't.


Interview by Mike Rowe

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing my nephew's story. He is an incredible human being. He is the bravest person I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leo's resolve is inspiring to many, and he is someone I am proud to call a friend.

      Delete